Friday, September 4, 2009

Going Home

This week has been a rough one.  Last weekend, I finished moving out of the home I shared with my husband.  I have no idea where he moved.  Not my business.  I wish him well. 
Then on Tuesday night, I caught wind that something just wasn't right with my grandmother.  In July, she was admitted to the hospital with a broken femur.  I am not sure how long it was broken, but at 88, a broken bone is never good.  She started having problems with her kidneys, and by early this week, there wasn't much hope.  Wednesday I was able to spend some time with her, along with a minister from our church and several family members.  Unfortunately, she was already pretty far gone.  At 5:30 am Thursday, she silently passed from this world.

Two years ago, almost to the day, we lost my grandfather.  Grandma and Pawpaw were married 64 years when he passed.  They were the most adorable couple I have ever seen, and she was somewhat lost without him.  Grandma had a strength and determination that I have always admired.  I remember spending many hours with her in my childhood just listening to stories, watching her quilt, and learning piano under her watchful eye.  Of course, I was mostly there for the pickles... but I loved having one on one time with her.
Grandma was always concerned that she would pass earlier than she planned, as both of her parents died in their 60s.  I would say that after 88 years, 64 years of marriage, 6 children, 20+ grandchildren, and a gaggle of great-grandchildren, that she lived a long and happy life.  I know that Grandpa was waiting to welcome her home.
Some of my fondest memories of my grandmother:
  1. Lightning Cookies - These lemon flavored bars were amazing and I must remember to locate the recipe.
  2. Elephants - she LOVED elephants and collected them.  Grandpa brought her an amazing table home from India during WWII with elephants on the legs.  I bought her a Waterford Crystal elephant for Christmas a few years ago and you could see in her eyes that she cherished it greatly.
  3. Pulling my brother out of a swimming pool by his ear.  I mean, sure... my cousin Heather and I convinced him to jump in there... but it was still funny.  To us.  Not Chris.  Sorry bro.
  4. She used to pick me up from school when I was sick and my mom was not around.  She was very comforting.
  5. Sonic - She loved going to Sonic and would always get me a grilled cheese.  Mmmm Sonic.
I will miss my grandmother very much.  It still hasn't really sunken in that she is gone.  But she will live on in my memory and my heart forever.

I was very fortunate to sit down with both of my grandparents a few years ago and have them tell me all about their lives growing up and their lives together.  We did the same a few years before my paternal grandmother and I was always happy to have not only my memories, but her's as well.  If you still have your grandparents, go to a bookstore and find a "Grandparents' Book".  You just fill in the blanks.  Trust me... you will thank me later!!!

3 comments:

Alan said...

Liz,

What a beautiful tribute! Thanks for sharing your precious memories. It certainly does sound like she had a wonderfully productive and happy life. It must be comforting to know that she's finally reunited with your grandfather.

I'm praying for your family.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of all you are going through. So much loss in such a short span of time. Sending hugs.

Eileen Burnett said...

I'm so sorry, Liz!!!! Probably why I dreamed of you all that week... I wish I could give you a big hug!!! Know that although I am unreachable for the time being, you ate definitely in my prayers. Lord knows you have been through enough for now, so I hope that peace comes your way, my friend!!!!

I'll call you as soon as I can.
Love,
Eileen